Saturday, May 23, 2009

Bamboo and Bugs

We went to the bamboo furniture store in our neighborhood today and picked out a bamboo and wicker dresser, now my few items of clothing will have a home--I was kind of getting tired of having neatly folded clothing piles next to my bed. The dresser was delivered, as I suspected, on the back of a motor scooter and I helped the delivery man carry it up the five flights of stairs to the room. Bamboo furniture has its merits. A few days ago I got a bamboo pole-rack for hanging clothing on--it took me longer than it should have to figure out which of the three cross supports fit into which holes on the vertical pieces. And I always thought geometry was one of my strong points. To top it off, in the process of assembly a small, nasty-looking spider of unknown toxicity escaped from one of the base-supports and is now living happily somewhere in our room. Last week I caught a jumping spider in my room every single day and put it outside. It began to feel like a pointless exercise. I've stopped making an effort to catch them because a new one seems to materialize out of thin air every time I put one outside. For some reason I only ever see one at a time. Maybe it's my karma for purchasing a few "bug jewelry" pieces last week when I was in downtown Hanoi with the mom and daughter of the American family I live with. I definitely had reservations about purchasing dead bugs frozen into some form of plastic, and even thought to myself how strange it is that I would pay money for them, considering I always catch bugs and put them outside rather than kill them.

No comments:

Post a Comment